- City Hall
- Elizabeth Police Department
- Auxiliary Police
The Elizabeth Police Department’s auxiliary program is part of our Office of Emergency Management. Auxiliary officers are trained to observe and report conditions requiring the services of a certified police officer. Whenever possible, they assist in non-enforcement and non-hazardous duties. The Elizabeth Police Department utilizes auxiliary police officers to achieve its training mission in preparation for a disaster or local emergency. The auxiliary police officer program is under direct supervision of the Chief of Police.
The auxiliary program is a great opportunity to get an up-close look at law enforcement. For some, it is a stepping-stone to a great career and for others it provides them an opportunity to volunteer in the community.
Qualifications for membership:
1. Applicants must be a citizen of the United States, resident of the City of Elizabeth, or live within two miles of the city borders.
2. Be between the ages of 18 and 65
3. Able to read, write, and speak the English language
4. Be of good moral character and physically qualified to perform the duties assigned
5. Possess a current and valid New Jersey driver’s license
6. Pass a criminal background check
7. Pass a physical examination and drug screening by the police department’s physician
8. Complete the required basic auxiliary police-training course
Every auxiliary police officer must participate in a minimum of eight (8) hours of training per month.
Please contact Sgt. Timothy Stapfer at TStapfer@ElizabethNJ.org if you are interested in obtaining more information about membership or if you have any questions regarding the program.