Firearms Purchaser Identification Card & Firearms Purchasing Permits
The State of New Jersey has instituted a new online firearms application and registration system (FARS). Now, when applying for a firearms purchase permit and/or firearms ID card, the entire application is online.
Steps for applications:
1. Read this entire webpage.
2. Obtain the following items:
- Valid New Jersey driver’s license number
- Social Security Number (SSN)
- State Bureau of Investigations (SBI) number. (If you do not have this, you will be assigned a number as part of this application process)
- Valid e-mail address for yourself and your references
- Elizabeth Police Department ORI Number: NJ0200400
3. Go HERE to start your application
4. Go HERE to pay the required local fees to the City of Elizabeth
5. Monitor your e-mail for status changes and for alerts that may have additional information
6. If you have lived outside of New Jersey within the last 10 years, you will need to complete the Consent for Mental Health Records Search Form. Ensure that the Mental Health Record Search Form is from your previous state of residence. Please hand deliver this form to the Elizabeth Police Department. Failure to submit this document within 30 days will cause your application to be withdrawn.
7. If you receive a notification that you have been denied, a letter of denial will be sent to the address you listed on your application. This letter will explain the steps you will need to take for an appeal. Appeals for denial are heard in the Union County Superior Court their phone number is 908-787-1650.
8. If approved, your documents will be forwarded to you via e-mail.
E-Permits will be valid for 180 days unless there is a good cause to not extend the permit past the 90 day mark.
E-Permits may be deactivated/reactivated at any time (ERPO/TRO/Court Order/NICS Denial etc.)
Applicants: Please make sure of the accuracy and completeness of any information you input on your application. Only “Official Names” can be used.
References are contacted by e-mail, please ensure all e-mails are accurate as this can delay your application. Applicants will have an opportunity to review all the entered information before clicking “submit”.
After clicking “submit” you will receive a confirmation number which is unique to each application. Please record this number or print the confirmation page.
If applying for both a Firearms ID Card and Pistol Purchase Permit(s), please do so under one application. If you submit several subsequent application, each receives a different confirmation number and we cannot combine them.
Fee(s): To process the application, we must receive the permit and/or ID card fees prior to proceeding with the application as per New Jersey Administrative Code N.J.A.C. 13:54. The fees are $2.00 for pistol purchase permit and $5.00 for a Firearms ID card. If we do not receive payment of local fees within 30 days, we will consider your application session abandoned and withdraw your application from the system.
The $21.00 fee paid to the State of New Jersey, does not include our local fees, These are two separate transactions.
The local fees are collected by our Records Bureau located in the Elizabeth Police Department. These fees are non-refundable.
Fingerprints: If you have been fingerprinted in the past for firearms and have a New Jersey State Bureau of Investigation (SBI) number, you will no longer need to be fingerprinted every two (2) years. You just need to enter your SBI number in the appropriate field. Your SBI number appears on your current Firearms I.D. card.
If this is your first time applying and/or you have no SBI number, you will need to make an appointment with “IdentoGO” to be fingerprinted. The new online system, (FARS), will auto-fill a form for you to take with you to get fingerprinted. The information on where to go is on the form. You will need a printer.
When approved, you will receive an e-mail notification to the e-mail address listed on your application. This does not mean that the hard copy permit(s) and/or ID card is ready for pick up. These documents still require an authorized signature to be valid. Our Records department personnel will contact you when these documents have been prepared and signed off on. Please bring proper identification with you when picking up these items.
Records Department Hours: 908-558-2074
Monday 8:00 am – 4:00 pm
Tuesday 8:00 am – 4:00 pm
Wednesday 8:00 am – 4:00 pm
Thursday 8:00 am – 4:00 pm
Friday 8:00 am – 4:00 pm
If, after 90 days, there is no activity with your application we will withdraw your application from the system. Again, if we do not receive payment of local fees ($2 per permit, $5 for Firearms ID card) within 30 days, we will consider your application session abandoned and withdraw your application from the system. You can pay online or pay in-person.
Once withdrawn, you will need to begin an entirely new FARS application should you wish to reapply in the future.