INSTRUCTIONS TO OBTAIN A CERTIFIED COPY OF A VITAL RECORD:
1. Applicant must submit two (2) forms identification. Accepted documents are:
2. Applicant must provide proof of relationship. (ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS)
3. Complete applicant information section.
4. Complete appropriate request section (Birth, Marriage/Civil Union/Domestic Partnership, or Death).
5. This office does not conduct record searches, you must have the correct information to identify the record.
6. Requests by mail: must include photo copies of appropriate identification as listed above, proof of relationship as listed below, and the completed application.
7. All certified copies of documents are $15.00 per copy.
8. Fees should be made by money order or cashier's check, payable to "City of Elizabeth"
9. Mail requests to:
50 Winfield Scott Plaza
Elizabeth, NJ 07201
*Any questions please call the office at 908-820-4082
ELIGIBILITY FOR CERTIFIED COPIES OF VITAL RECORDS
To get a certified copy of a person's vital record, you must provide proof of your relationship to the person listed on the record and the proof must establish you are one of the following:
If you are looking for a certified copy of:
you must provide a copy of the certified copy of your marriage/civil union certificate to link the name on your current ID to the name on your birth certificate.
you don't need any additional documents.
you must provide a copy of your marriage/civil union certificate.
you must provide a copy of your birth certificate.
you must establish that you are the person's grandchild by providing proof that links the name on your ID to the name of the grandparent.
For example, if you changed your last name after marriage/civil union and want a grandparent's vital record, you must:
If you are not a person qualified to get a certified copy of a record but you are helping a person receive a certified copy of a vital record they are eligible to receive
If you are an attorney who is executor of an estate
who is the legal representative of the executor of an estate
who is the legal representative of an individual that is eligible to receive a certified copy of a vital record
who needs a certified copy of a vital record and you are not the legal representative of an eligible person